While looking for a way to manage multiple websites on my Mac, I found a blog post by an Indie Mac Developer, Tyler Hall. He writes VirtualHostX that helps you to manage multiple websites on a Mac. Tyler wrote about his experience with Piracy. As a software developer, he believes that he cannot eliminate software piracy. Instead, he experimented with ways to turn non-paying customers into paying customers. His post details his experiments and the results.
People use the internet to search for companies and products or services. If you don’t have a website, than you don’t exist. A one page website can help you to establish your web presence just like a multi-page website can. With a one page website, you can quickly show people who you are and what kind of services or products you offer. A one page website helps people find you while providing you with time to grow into a larger website when you are ready.
Why start with just 1 page?
You may not have enough content for a full website. It can take time to create text, photos, graphics and videos for a website. A one page website allows you to create a simple, yet attractive website that conveys your message.
You’re trying to keep or get your business going. You can’t afford to spend a lot of money or time building a multi-page custom website. A one page website can fit into your budget and schedule.
You want to be found. People recommend companies to their friends and use search engines to research companies. With a one page website, you can link to your social network accounts on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. This helps you to connect to your customers whether they are using Social Networking or a Search Engine.
Who would benefit from a 1 page website?
- Startups: Young companies who want people to find them.
- Small Businesses: Coffee shops, boutiques, computer repair and etc.
- Entrepreneurs: Home based-businesses, artists, photographers and other ventures that need a web presence.
When you are developing a website on a budget, you have to spend your money wisely. For a current project, I found these three websites that helped me complete my project with a limited budget.
- Morguefile.com is a public image archive for creatives. They offer free photos that you can use in your projects or for inspiration. You can find different types of photos that will fit your projects. These pictures don’t require that you attribute the photo in your design.
- Background Labs provides a wide variety of backgrounds, patterns and textures for customizing your projects. You can search the archive by color, type or tag. If you don’t find something that fits your project, you can use Background Labs to inspire you. I was inspired by the colors in one of backgrounds and used it to develop a personal website.
- Openclipart.org has free clip art that you can use in your projects. The clip art is public domain unless specified. The clip art is attractive and professional. Your projects will look professional if you decide to use their clip art.