Adam Savage’s (Mythbusters) talk at XOXO festival on being a maker.
Month: November 2012
UX Experience at Web414 Meetup
Notes from the UX Experience meetup:
“Think strategic about UX before designing.”
Perception, Interaction, Emotion/Habit
- UI is a tool for influencing all 3 (listed above).
- Perception is the reality of how people perceive you.
- Things fail when you force people to change their behaviors.
- UX is business goals, brand strategy and user research
- It is the design of user emotion, interaction and perception.
- Through the strategic understanding of what happens before, during and after each interaction.
- You create. Created about you. Created around you.
- To be really good at it, there’s a lot to learn. And learning happens in real time.
- Ask: “if this, then what” or “if this, then why”
- What do we need to learn?
- What does it really mean?
- How do we deliver?
- What does it look like?
Questions to ask when designing
- What? [Customers’ needs, Business Goals]
- Where? [Location]
- When? [Time, Frequency]
- Content, Customization, and Context
- Why? Is this going to be useful to the customer?
Solving the Why
- Personas are important *you’re not designing for you.
- content is relevant
- focus on behaviors
- drives the content/messaging/information architecture
- models the experience
- keeps the team focused
- You might make something useful for your customers
- collect different items for inspiration
- reverse engineer how a design or brand was created.
What do UXer’s do?
- expand the realm of what you are designing.
- Get a client involved by asking questions about what they need not what they want.
UX has niches that you concentrate on: UI, Interaction and UX Strategist
Check out: Adaptive Path, Ideo, onwardsearch.com, UX Magazine